Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Safely made it

It's only 5:15pm at home - but here it is just after midnight.  The flight was safe and easy - long, but that's to be expected.  We're staying in an area outside of Johannesburg (or Joburg as they call it) in a city called Sandton. 

As we drove in from the airport - I sat next to our driver (whose name was Alex).  He called out for us what part of the city we were in and what was coming up.  There are still lots of remnants of the World Cup that was held here earlier in the year.  Flag poles (without the flags) and lots of new construction around to support the volume of people that came in to watch the soccer matches.

Along the side of the freeway are large swatches of identical "attached" homes.  Some (that were just of the side of the road) where still under construction.  Alex called these "free" homes that the government builds for the people.  He said he lives in one outside of the city and that the government provides the building, the water and elecricity for the home.  From our quick conversation people apply to live in the homes and if they get it - it is theirs to keep. 

I tried to take a picture of the area - it didn't turn out very well as we drove by, but here it is anyway:

Sandton is a very nice, upscale/modern area with hotels, restarants, shopping malls - not unlike areas in Columbus.  I happened to turn on the TV while getting ready to meet the team for dinner and caught a program that was a local show about Joburg.  It highlighted Sandton as a city with 4 meter high fences around it that has tight security.  In that respects I feel a bit odd - being here, knowing the great need, but being in a bubble area where it might as well be 10 miles from my house.  I'm happy to be comfortable and feel safe - but wonder what contrasts we'll see starting tomorrow.

We have a full agenda tomorrow - starting with a meeting at the MaAfrica Tikkun main office in Joburg with Mark Lubner, then moving on to Orange Township to volunteer at the the Safelite Cycling Center where I hope to be re-united with some friends I've made through my participation in the Safelite and Belron triathlons over the past few years ("Coach" Thomas, Dudizi, Tsiamo and Taboho).


2 comments:

  1. You are making me feel lik I am right there Matt. Thanks for the vivid descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenny! I have NOT written anything for sooo long so please forgive all my errors!!

    ReplyDelete