Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Diepsloot

After Alexandra we left for Diepsloot.  We met Xomadi (I think that's how it was spelled) who is the program director for the Center in Diepsloot at the event in Alex and then all headed over to Diepsloot in one car.  It took about an hour to get there.  Musa came with us again.

In Diepsloot we all volunteered.  The first stop was to help children with homework in the computer center.  We entered the computer center and met Mduduzi who headed up the area.  They explained that children were coming in that needed help with their homework.  A group of mostly young children came in and sat down - among them was a young man named Prince. 

Prince wants to be an accountant when he grows up and had some accounting home work that he wanted help on.  I'm not sure I was the best person to offer help but we spent an hour together reading his book and completing exercises on keeping books / records and ledgers of transactions.  I was very impressed with how much he knew already.  I did my best to help him.  We did take a few minute break to Google 'Prince the musician' (he had never heard of Prince - aka the one who turned himself into a symbol) and wanted to see who it was.



Prince studying his for 3rd accounting class (he is in the 11th grade)


Betsy helping out


Mike working with children on their math tables

Brian and who Brian called "the math genious"

I will write more about Diepsloot and tell you about my cycling trip / afternoon with the children.

I will leave you with this photo - Chondra - who became my buddy for the afternoon:


No comments:

Post a Comment