Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Entering Alexandra

I'm not sure I have a good way to describe Alexandra.  It is one of the oldest townships outside of Joburg.  It was one of the defined / mandated "black" areas under apartheid (I've decided not to capitalize that word anymore) as were most of the other townships.  The best way to describe it is to show the pictures I took.  Before showing you the photos - I have to admit that I was very apprehensive about taking these.  I took them from inside a moving vehicle and was afraid of offending / crossing lines that I shouldn't by doing so.  So they aren't the best quality "Musa" photos that you'll see later - they are my cruddy shots out the window as we drove by.

From what I could tell there were 3-4 homes here.


This little girl was standing in the street - there were people
around but no one attentively attending to her

This older woman tripped over the rubble in the road as I took her picture

Young family out

I can't tell what he's selling - but there are street vendors like
this everywhere throughout Alex and the other townships

No comments:

Post a Comment